Music is something to share, to talk about, and occasionally ram down other people's throats. This is a blog that does all of that.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Devoted to Beauty

You know, I've loved Mary Chapin Carpenter for about 15 years. She was the first country singer I actually identified with, and her work inspired one of my own songs, "Marked." So she's one of these artists--although my own musical tastes change and grow--whom I'll still buy anything new they release the day they do, sound unheard, if you will.

Chapin has, basically, mastered the art of writing the pretty, topical song. Her melodies have never faltered, her voice has maintained its rich, all-encompassing tone. But, in my opinion, her stuff is kind of boring these days. It's way too slow, way too pretty, way too samey-sounding.

That being said, the single from her 2007 album The Calling called "On With the Song" moved me when it was released in February. It's the sharpest and most biting social commentary she's ever made in song, and it ROCKS. For that reason, I was thrilled she had come back...but the rest of The Calling had me calling for my pillows. Sigh.

Well, download "On With the Song" anyway. And pick up her classic 1992 album Come On Come On for a glimpse of her at the apex of her popularity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home