Music is something to share, to talk about, and occasionally ram down other people's throats. This is a blog that does all of that.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Fine Art of David Sylvian

I've always been the most moved by voices of mystery, rather than voices of obvious explanation. I've always responded better emotionally to singers who brought the song up from the depths...people like Ian Curtis, Bowie, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Cassandra Wilson, and even singers such as Nat King Cole and Karen Carpenter. These singers didn't rely on histrionics to move their listeners. Their occasionally creepy vocals spoke volumes more than screams ever did.

That's why I deeply love the voice of David Sylvian. He first came to my attention with the song "Ghosts," from back in 1981 when he fronted the New Romantic band Japan. Beyond the makeup and flouncy outfits, that song in particular lived on a different plane than anything else at the time. Today, it's just as effective...creepy, sparse, bare, fantastic.

Then I discovered Secrets of the Beehive, his solo album recorded in 1988. It's simply a sonic delight...gorgeous piano-driven ballads propelled by his strange poetry and haunting delivery. It's become one of my favorite records to put on and lose myself in. And perhaps it took me this long to discover him because--and this is so lacking in today's popular music--David Sylvian is as grownup as it gets.

Check out: Brilliant Trees, Secrets of the Beehive, Japan: A Collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home